Each month, members of the Program On Regulation, Therapeutics, And Law (PORTAL) review the peer-reviewed medical literature to identify interesting empirical studies, in-depth analyses, and thoughtful editorials on pharmaceutical law and policy.
Below are the papers identified from the month of February. The selections feature topics ranging from the publication and reporting of clinical trial results across academic medical centers, to the completeness of serious adverse event drug reports submitted to the FDA, to an assessment of the merits of the expiry of brand name trademark protection upon generic entry. A full posting of abstracts/summaries of these articles may be found on our website.
- Chen R, Desai NR, Ross JS, Zhang W, Chau KH, Wayda B, Murugiah K, Lu DY, Mittal A, Krumholz HM. Publication and reporting of clinical trial results: cross sectional analysis across academic medical centers. 2016 Feb 17;352:i637.
- Doshi P, Jefferson T. Open data 5 years on: a case series of 12 freedom of information requests for regulatory data to the European Medicines Agency. 2016 Feb 11;17(1):78.
- Hwang TJ, Kesselheim AS. Vaccine Pipeline Has Grown During The Past Two Decades With More Early-Stage Trials From Small And Medium-Size Companies. Health Aff (Millwood). 2016 Feb 1;35(2):219-26.
- Kesselheim AS, Gagne JJ Franklin JM, Eddings W, Fulchino LA, Avorn J, Campbell EG. Variations in Patients’ Perceptions and Use of Generic Drugs: Results of a National Survey. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Feb 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lyapustina T, Rutkow L, Chang HY, Daubresse M, Ramji AF, Faul M, Stuart EA, Alexander GC. Effect of a “pill mill” law on opioid prescribing and utilization: The case of Texas. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Feb 1;159:190-7.
- Moore TJ, Furberg CD, Mattison DR, Cohen MR. Completeness of serious adverse drug event reports received by the US Food and Drug Administration in 2014. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Phillips AT, Rathi VK, Ross JS. Publication of Clinical Studies Supporting FDA Premarket Approval for High-Risk Cardiovascular Devices Between 2011 and 2013: A Cross-sectional Study. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sarpatwari A, Kesselheim AS. The Case for Reforming Drug Naming: Should Brand Name Trademark Protections Expire upon Generic Entry? PLoS Med. 2016 Feb 9;13(2):e1001955.