Each month, members of the Program On Regulation, Therapeutics, And Law (PORTAL) review the peer-reviewed medical literature to identify interesting empirical studies, in-depth analyses, and thoughtful editorials on pharmaceutical law and policy.
Below are the papers identified from the month of February. The selections feature topics ranging from an underreporting of deviations from good clinical practice in peer-reviewed medical journals, to the impact of risk evaluation and mitigation strategies on off-label prescribing, to repairing the broken market for antibiotic innovation. A full posting of abstracts/summaries of these articles may be found on our website.
- Chambers JD, Chenoweth M, Cangelosi MJ, Pyo J, Cohen JT, Neumann PJ. Medicare is scrutinizing evidence more tightly for national coverage determinations. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Feb 1;34(2):253-260.
- Falit BP, Singh SC, Brennan TA. Biosimilar competition in the United States: statutory incentives, payers, and pharmacy benefit managers. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Feb 1;34(2):294-301.
- Hwang CS, Turner LW, Kruszewski SP, Kolodny A, Alexander GC. Prescription drug abuse: a national survey of primary care physicians. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Feb 1;175(2):302-304.
- Kesselheim AS, Tan YT, Avorn J. The roles of academia, rare diseases, and repurposing in the development of the most transformative drugs. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Feb 1;34(2):286-293.
- Outterson K, Powers JH, Daniel GW, McClellan MB. Repairing the broken market for antibiotic innovation. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Feb 1;34(2):277-285.
- Rising JP, Moscovitch B. Characteristics of pivotal trials and FDA review of innovative devices. PLoS One. 2015 Feb 4;10(2):e0117235.
- Sarpatwari A, Franklin J, Avorn J, Seeger J, Landon J, Kesselheim A. Are risk evaluation and mitigation strategies associated with less off-label use of medications? The case of immune thrombocytopenia. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2015 Feb;97(2):186-193.
Seife C. Research misconduct identified by the US Food and Drug Administration: Out of sight, out of mind, out of the peer-reviewed literature. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wang B, Liu J, Kesselheim AS. Variations in Time of Market Exclusivity Among Top-Selling Prescription Drugs in the United States. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zetterqvist AV, Merlo J, Mulinari S. Complaints, complainants, and rulings regarding drug promotion in the United kingdom and sweden 2004-2012: a quantitative and qualitative study of pharmaceutical industry self-regulation. PLoS Med. 2015 Feb 17;12(2):e1001785.